What's the Buzz?


It's natures plan for honey bees to swarm several times each year to expand their population and to relocate in areas that need these creatures to work their magic as exceptional pollinators. While swarming, all honey bees, Eurpoean and Africanized search for a new location to establish a hive. During this search the swarm may lay- over to rest on the branch of a tree, a shrub, under the eaves of houses, or in or on many other places. While swarming these colonies remain quite docile and unless provoked do not present much of a threat. Eventually the swarm will find a place to build their hive consisting of wax honeycomb, at this time they become very aggressive in defending their home. Ideally this home will be in the wild, but in many cases they are in locations that encroach upon us and our family's lives. Many common locations are: inside walls of buildings, in dog and play houses, in water meter and sprinkler system ground level boxes, or just about any hollow space with a small opening to use as an entrance.

Without scientific measurements it is impossible to determine the difference between the European and Africanized honey bees, however, in the field, the extreme aggressiveness of the Africanized bees is legendary. If you or your family find yourselves sharing the proximity of a honey bee hive it is best to contact a pest management professional to advise you or to remedy the problem.

At Your Service was first to find Africanized Bees in Dona Ana County in 1993. They were found in the wall of a ranch house located about twenty five miles southwest of Las Cruces. Today, the New Mexico State University Cooperative Extension Service estimates over 80% of the swarms in our area are Africanized bees.

Throughout our history At Your Service has treated hundreds of honey bee colonies and in 2010 we removed or exterminated thirty-eight swarms or hives located in various locations in the Las Cruces area. Of those thirty- eight we estimate about 65% were Africanized bees, with the other 35% being the traditional European honey bees. With swarms we try to find beekeepers to take the colonies, but with the high percentage of Africanized bees in our area most beekeepers don't care to participate in this program. If the colonies have build a hive in a wall or another inaccessible area the hive will usually have to be destroyed. Give us a call to discuss your bee issues and we will work with you to arrive at the most logical outcome. Our number is (575) 524-1243.

Our Links

client client client client client client client client